Violetter Balken
Residenzgalerie Salzburg
Slider

Residenzgalerie Salzburg in the former archiepiscopal Residenz

The collection of the Province of Salzburg comprises European painting from the 16th – 19th centuries. Of outstanding interest are the 17th-century Dutch paintings acquired from the Viennese collection of Count Czernin. The gallery also presents works by important Italian, French and Austrian masters of the 17th and 18th centuries, and the collection is rounded off by 19th-century Austrian painting.

Special exhibitions

Focus

17th-century Dutch painting (Rembrandt, Rubens, Brueghel), 17th and 18th-century Italian, French and Austrian painting as well as works by 19th-century Austrian masters (Waldmüller, Amerling, Makart, Ender). The permanent exhibition is completed by regular special exhibitions.

Flemish Baroque

>> More pictures about the Flemish Baroque on Google Arts & Culture

 

Dutch Baroque

>> More pictures about the Dutch Baroque on Google Arts & Culture

 

French Baroque

>> More pictures about the French Baroque on Google Arts & Culture

 

Italian Baroque

>> More pictures about the Italian Baroque on Google Arts & Culture

 

Austrian Baroque

>> More pictures about the Austrian Baroque on Google Arts & Culture

 

Austria 19th century

>> More pictures about the Austria 19th century on Google Arts & Culture

 

The museum

The paintings are presented in 11 rooms of the former archiepiscopal Residenz.

Residenzgalerie Salzburg © RGS/Eckschlager

The history of the Residenzgalerie

Founded in 1923, the Residenzgalerie was intended on the one hand to replace the archiepiscopal art collection, lost in the early 19th century, and on the other to boost tourism in the Town and Province of Salzburg. Political events forced its closure in 1938.

Reopened on 3 August 1952, the gallery focused on the collection of 16th- to 20th-century paintings. When the Province of Salzburg established the Rupertinum museum for 20th-century art in 1980, the Residenzgalerie handed over its complete stock of 20th-century art.

 

 

The works purchased by the Residenzgalerie between 1956 and 1994 from the former Czernin Collection in Vienna constitute the most important stock of paintings. These works were collected by Count Johann Rudolf Czernin between 1800 and 1840.

The Residenzgalerie is situated in the east wing of the Residenz, the fabric of which dates back to around 1600. The stucco work on the ceilings in the northern rooms was commissioned by Prince-Archbishop Franz Anton Harrach, who used these rooms as audience chambers and living quarters. At the end of the 18th century, Archbishop Hieronymus Colloredo used this storey for the first time to display the archiepiscopal painting collection.

Franz Xaver Mandl, View of Salzburg, 1835, oil/canvas, 68 x 92.5 cm, inv. no. 220 © RGS/Ghezzi

Research

  • Panel paintings 2015 – 2020
  • Restoration project 
  • Remounting of panels in ornamental frames

Dr. Erika Oehring

Mag. Gerhard Walde
Conservation and restoration of historical, modern and contemporary art, Vienna

The Residenzgalerie owns 81 panel paintings (16th -19th centuries). In the historical premises, these paintings react extremely sensitively to atmospheric fluctuations, which are reinforced by factors including increased flow of visitors. The aim of the restoration project is to make controlled movement (expansion / contraction) possible for the wooden picture supports, by means of a newly-developed mounting technique with flexibly defined pressure adapted to each individual panel.

Sponsored by the Federal Chancellery of Austria (dept. VI/4 culture funding)

Since 1987, the Province of Salzburg has been carrying out checks on the provenance of controversial works of art in its collection. By order of the Province of Salzburg, the Provincial Archive has examined and published the inventory records of between 1942 and 1944, in order to clarify the process of acquisition at that time and the legal situation.

Publication: Fritz Koller,Das Inventarbuch der Landesgalerie Salzburg. 1942 – 1944. Salzburg 2000

Since 1987, the Province of Salzburg has checked the provenance of all the art objects in its museums.

In 1998, a publication was issued on the Residenzgalerie Salzburg collection exhibited during the period 1923 – 1938 as loans or acquisitions.
Reference: Gerhard Plasser, residenzfähig. Sammlungsgeschichte der Residenzgalerie Salzburg 1923 – 1938, Salzburg 1998

Commissioned by the Province of Salzburg, the provincial archive produced an edition (published in 2000) of the inventory register drawn up by art dealer Friedrich Welz between 1942 and 1944 for the art-works acquired by the National Socialist “Landesgalerie Salzburg”.
Reference: Fritz Koller, Das Inventarbuch der Landesgalerie Salzburg. 1942 – 1944. Salzburg 2000

Parallel to the Salzburg provincial archive’s research on the “Landesgalerie” inventory register, which lists Friedrich Welz’s acquisitions from 1942 until 1944, since 1998 the Residenzgalerie has carried out provenance research on those purchases by Welz which were not restituted after World War II, but remained in Salzburg museums; the results were published in 2007. The works in question date mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries (up to 1945).
Reference: Roswitha Juffinger, Gerhard Plasser, Salzburger Landessammlungen 1939 – 1955. Salzburg 2007

After the founding of the Rupertinum (now Museum der Moderne Salzburg), the remaining works dating from the first half of the 20th century, purchased by Welz during the war, were handed over to the Museum der Moderne. For restitutions implemented by the Museum der Moderne, see the Museum website.

The “tonal painting” research project comprises paintings of the Leiden and Haarlem schools from the Dutch collection of the Residenzgalerie, Province of Salzburg. 

Download pdf (in german)

The project aims first: to prepare an online version with an appraisal of the historical photographs and a study of the Salzburg art market around 1920, including the selling arrangements of Ludwig Viktor’s estate by the Dorotheum in Vienna and the American Art Association in New York, and second: to prepare a concept for an exhibition project including those items from the estate now in possession of the Province of Salzburg and the Salzburg Museum.

Dr. Roswitha Juffinger
Art historian, Vienna
Project of the Province of Salzburg / DQ Salzburg collections / Salzburg archive
E-mail: roswitha@juffinger.cc

Enquiries

Management

Curators

 

Since 2014, the Salzburg Residenzgalerie has been part of the DomQuartier. The DomQuartier tour takes visitors through the special exhibitions in the Residenzgalerie.

Top